ATHE Level 6 Qualifications in Coaching and Mentoring
The overarching aims of the qualifications are to develop knowledge, understanding and skill in coaching and/or mentoring, so these techniques can be used effectively with a wide range of individuals in and across organisations operating in different sectors. The qualifications will establish the connection between coaching, mentoring and the achievement of personal effectiveness, professional performance and organisational goals. It will provide the opportunity for learners to develop knowledge and understanding in both mentoring and/or coaching techniques depending on whether learners choose to follow a programme of study leading to a Certificate in Coaching or a Certificate in Mentoring or a Diploma in Coaching and Mentoring.
In addition, the units will provide opportunities for application of the learning leading to improved performance in the role of coach and/or mentor. Learners will be able to work with individuals in a business context, an education/training context or the not-for-profit sector. These opportunities can be applied to staff working at different levels in the organisations. This will facilitate embedding of improved practice leading to higher levels of personal development and professional practice from those being coached or mentored and subsequently higher achievement of institutional goals and success. This is increasingly important in the changing and competitive environments in which organisations operate. This can lead to the development of an institutional culture of coaching and mentoring.
Each of the qualifications can stand alone. They can also be offered by centres to support learning in other ATHE qualifications such as the Level 3 Certificate in Entrepreneurship and the suite of teaching qualifications including Level 6 Extended Diploma and Diploma in Teaching and the Level 5 Extended Diploma and Diploma in Supporting Teaching and Learning. In these qualifications, mentoring and coaching are integral to the support and development of the learners and the embedding of good practice in work roles
At a glance:
- Two Coaching and Mentoring Diploma pathways for people in business / organisations) or in education and/or training)
- Two Certificate pathways as above for those choosing to follow a Coaching or Mentoring programme of study
- Assessment using judgements against ‘Pass’ Assessment Criteria
- Between 27 to 43 credits depending on the qualification chosen, with Total Qualification Times of 270 to 430 hours for either pathway
- Between two to five mandatory units for each pathway depending on the qualification chosen, including observation of practice remotely or face to face
- Can be delivered through full-time or part-time study via blended or distance learning
Further details can be found in the Qualification Specification.
Units and Pathways
Learners can choose from the following pathways and mandatory units to meet their personal and organisational needs:
ATHE’s Level 6 qualification pathways in Coaching and/or Mentoring. This includes
- a Level 6 Diploma in Coaching and Mentoring working with people at different levels in businesses/organisations. (43 credits, 5 mandatory units)
- a Level 6 Diploma in Coaching and Mentoring working with people at different levels providing education and/or training. (43 credits, 5 mandatory units)
- A Level 6 Certificate in Coaching working with people in businesses/organisations (27 credits, 2 mandatory units, 1 pathway unit)
- A Level 6 Certificate in Mentoring working with people in businesses/organisations (27 credits, 2 mandatory units, 1 pathway unit)
- A Level 6 Certificate in Coaching working with people in education and/or training (27 credits, 2 mandatory units, 1 pathway unit)
- A Level 6 Certificate in Mentoring working with people in education and/or training (27 credits, 2 mandatory units, 1 pathway unit)
This qualification is designed for learners who have the appropriate levels of experience and maturity to take on the roles of coach and mentor. For example, the learners may have extensive experience of working in the roles where mentoring or coaching is taking place. It is likely that learners will at least be aged 21 and above.
For learners who have recently been in education or training the entry profile is likely to include one of following:
- a level 5 or level 6 qualification in a range of subject areas
- other equivalent international qualifications
- qualifications and/or training in coaching or mentoring.
Learners must have an appropriate standard of English to enable them to access relevant resources and complete the unit assignments.