Health and Social Care
ATHE Level 6 Diploma in Healthcare Management
The ATHE Level 6 Diploma in Healthcare Management is a 120-credit Ofqual-regulated qualification and is the equivalent level to the third year of a bachelor’s degree. This qualification has been designed for learners who are seeking to progress to higher education to take an MBA programme in an area of healthcare management. This qualification aims to develop learners understanding of management and to develop key management skills. As well as the Extended Diploma option (120-credit) there is a range of certificates and awards available.
At a glance:
- Progression to a masters degree at a university partner – www.athe.co.uk/progression
- Advanced learner loans available in the UK - See the Qualifications catalogue
- The Extended Diploma is 1,200 learning hours, usually studied over an academic year
- Graded ‘Achieved’ or ‘Not achieved’
- Designed with support from universities
- Can be delivered in the classroom, by distance or by blended learning.
There are three different sized qualifications. If you study the 120-credit diploma then you must study all 5 mandatory units and select 3 or 4 optional units. If you study the 25-credit certificate then you must study “International Healthcare Policy” and 1 optional unit from the optional units for certificate listed below. There are a variety of other certificates and awards. To see the contents of the certificates and awards and each unit you can view the Qualification Specification.
Mandatory Units (Diploma 120-credit)
Learners must complete the six mandatory units totalling 70 credits. They must complete either Managing Finance in the Public Sector or Financial Decision Making for Managers.
A further four or five units totalling a minimum of 50 credits from the list of optional units must be completed to achieve a minimum of 120 credits for the Diploma.
- International Healthcare Policy
- Managing Quality and Service Delivery
- Leadership and Management
- Research Project
- Personal Leadership and Management Development
Choose one from the following:
- Managing Finance in the Public Sector
- Financial Decision Making for Managers
- Human Resource Management
- Project Management
- Programme Leadership
- Risk Management
- Manage Sustainability in an Organisation
- Strategic Planning
- Managing Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading Organisational Equality and Diversity
Learners who complete this qualification can progress onto an MSc programme at a higher education institution such as the University of Portsmouth, or onto the ATHE Level 7 Diploma in Healthcare Management. For more information please see www.athe.co.uk/progression
Age: 19 + Entry profile:
- One or two years’ study of business, management or related qualifications at a Higher Education Institution
- A level 5 qualification in business, management or related subjects for example an ATHE Level 5 Diploma in Management
- Other equivalent international qualifications